Sunday, April 12, 2015

Medical Problems and Sexual Functioning & Paraphillias and Non-paraphillic Hypersexuality Presentations

The last two class presentations were very impressive!! I am always so impressed with how my classmates really pull things together and create such interesting and creative projects.

Medical Problems and Sexual Functioning
        I really liked that this presentation and wiki page incorporated several different medical conditions. They really solidified the idea of seeing the whole person, which I think is incredibly important with working with clients. It also (along with the chapters we read) opened my eyes to just how much medical problems can influence our sexual identities and relationships as well. Heart disease, in particular, stands out to me because it is so prevalent in our society today, yet very few people make the connection between this physical illness and sexual dilemmas. The way that this group highlighted specific ways in which the various medical conditions affect sexual problems was extremely helpful and I could see myself referring to this Wiki page when working with individuals and/or couples to help better understand their problems.
          The focus on disabilities was also helpful and I feel like something that our society does not value or is even aware of. The information that the group has provided will be extremely helpful in working with not only the clients with disabilities themselves, but helping family members and loved ones access psychoeducation, normalization and helpful tools and processing. The group did a fabulous job in their role plays which really helped me to see what a situation like this would be like, and I really enjoyed looking through their Wiki page-well done!!

Paraphillias and Non-paraphillic Hypersexuality
      Wow what a topic! This presentation, along with the assigned chapters, really opened my eyes to how many different paraphillias exist as well as how little research has been done in better understanding these phenomenon. I found the ethical dilemma that the group presented was quite important in distinguishing the difference between a paraphillia and a paraphillic disorder. I appreciated the presenters highlighted these differences and normalized that if these "out of the ordinary" acts or behaviors helped people maintain their sexuality in a healthy and non-stressful or unsafe manner, then who are we to say that it is a disorder? The pictures with captions and videos really highlighted this notion of shame that is associated with these paraphillias and the notion that we need to help change society's perspectives in this way. However, on the same note I must admit I had never thought about what our roles as MFT's would be in regards to reporting such disorders and how this would effect the client's ability to receive treatment. Definitely an eye-opener for me and a reminder that it is SO important to constantly be reading up on literature and checking in with a supervisor whenever at all doubtful of our role.
       I really enjoyed reading through this group's Wiki page and felt that it had a good balance of information and interesting and useful websites and resources. Similar to the previous presentation, I appreciated that the project included several different paraphillias in order to gain a better understanding. I also really enjoyed watching the videos on the Wiki page that demonstrated various different paraphillias that people experience. I will certainly be referencing this page if I encounter a client who is struggling with a paraphillia or non-paraphillic hypersexuality! well done group : )

No comments:

Post a Comment